Open 7 Days
Bookings Essential

Hanger AA Gympie Aerodrome Lobwein Road Kybong QLD

RFC Office Phone: 0405 829 996


  • Facebook
  • YouTube

© 2019 by The Recreational Flying Company

Learn to Fly

Here at The Recreational Flying Company, we have licences that will take you from no experience in flying right through to job-ready as a pilot.

Recreational Pilots Certificate - RPC

This is the entry level Pilot Qualification that's both affordable and accessible to just about anyone who's ready to fly!

The RPC can be used as a stand alone certification to enjoy recreational flying or as a stepping stone onto higher qualifications.

Your RPC lets you...​

  • Fly a Recreational Aeroplane (under 600Kg Max take off weight).

  • Operate within 25 nautical miles (about 50Km) of the aerodrome you took off from.

  • Carry a friend with you as a passenger (once you've received your passenger endorsement).

  • Fly anywhere in Australia that is outside of controlled airspace (once you've received your cross-country endorsement).

Recreational Pilots Licence - RPL

This is the licence that allows you to step up to flying larger General Aviation aircraft with more complexity and more passenger seats.

Your RPL lets you...​

  • Fly a Light General Aviation Aeroplane (under 1500Kg Max take off weight).

  • Operate within 25 nautical miles (about 50Km) of the aerodrome you took off from.

  • Carry up to 3 friends with you as passengers (as long as you hold an aviation medical certificate).

  • Fly anywhere in Australia that is outside of controlled airspace (once you've received your navigation endorsement).

  • Fly into controlled airspace and land at controlled aerodromes (once you've received your CTA/CTR endorsements)

  • Undertake additional training for flight activity endorsements like aerobatics or formation flying.

Private Pilots Licence - pPL

This is the licence that removes the restrictions of the Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL) in terms of aircraft that you can get checked out on and the ratings and endorsements that you can pursue.

Private Pilots can qualify to fly all kinds of aircraft just about anywhere in the world on private operations...that means, you just can't get paid for'll need a CPL for that!

During the PPL component of your training, you'll become very competent at flying in controlled airspace and you'll also learn new skills like radio navigation.

Once you've got your PPL, you can choose to complete additional ratings like:

Night VFR 

Instrument Rating

Multi-Engine Class rating

...and of course all the benefits of the RPL are still available to you.

Commercecial Pilots Licence - cPL

This is the licence that allows you to work as a professional pilot and to earn money doing the thing you love!

Commercial Pilot's can end up flying in such diverse roles as:

Air Charter

Aero-Medical Services (Flying Doctor)

Corporate Aviation

Aerial Agriculture (Crop spraying or spreading)

Aerial Fire Fighting

Regional or Major Airlines (with appropriate additional qualifications)

During the CPL component of your training, you will learn how to operate the aeroplane to the very high standards expected of a professional pilot. You will become very proficient at smooth, confident, efficient and safe flying while making operational decisions in a simulated commercial environment.

Multi-engine instrument rating - mecir

This advanced qualification allows you to to fly a multi-engine aircraft by day and night in all weather conditions.

The MECR is available to Private and Commercial Licence Holders. Training involves intensive sessions of ground simulator and in-flight training in all facets of instrument flight operations.

Private Instrument Ratings, Night VFR Ratings and Single Engine Instrument Ratings are also available.

tail wheel and aerobatics - twu/aero

Some might say that this is the qualification that turns you into a 'real pilot'.

Tail wheel aircraft have demanding handling characteristics during take off and landing. This means as a tail wheel pilot you must have highly developed and intuitive 'stick and rudder skills' and excellent hand-eye co-ordination.

Adding aerobatic flight skills to your licence means you will gain confidence at handling an aircraft throughout its full envelope...including upside down!

Flying tail wheel and aerobatics will enhance your skills even when flying other aircraft and will increase your confidence and ability to handle emergency situations.'s also just about the best fun you can have in an aircraft!

Tail wheel and Spinning only endorsements are also available.